Monday, March 13, 2017

Feeling Saucy #1

If you didn't know already, I have an obsession with sauces. Any new and interesting sauce must be mine. This is a new series which will feature sauces I love to use and sauces I have created myself. The first one I am posting about is my "Thai-style" Lemongrass & Mint sauce. The ingredients are simple: 1. 3 2-inch stalks of lemongrass (from base) 2. a handful of mint 3. 1/2 cup Thai fish sauce 4. juice from 1/2 Meyer lemon 5. 2 tablespoons of sambal 6. 2 table spoons of shrimp paste with shrimp oil
Chop up the herbs, mix in the other sauces, and bam! You have the most savory, sweet, tart, and DELICIOUS sauce ever. I can literally drink this stuff. The shrimp oil brings it all together. The Meyer lemon keeps it from being too tart. The fish sauce gives it a nice saltiness and pungency. The sambal brings some heat. I've seen other recipes use salt, but I felt like using the Meyer lemon and Thai fish sauce brought enough sweetness to the sauce. Tomorrow I will be using this sauce on top of oil-poached barramundi. Look out for my next post with the recipe! Happy saucing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment